Jul 29, 2005

Moments of discovery

Finally back from my 4 days of treacherous kayaking orientation.
So, here's my share of account during Reefwalk on 24th June 2005...

Once again, I was there during the wee hours in the morning to be amazed once again, by the sheer number of enthusiastic participants and friendly guides' presence. After selling about 10 odd copies of the
Southern Island guide sheets to the visitors, we have finally arrived on the familiar island. The guides were told which group to take and for the very first time, I have less then 10 people to guide! *yeah!!*

So off we went into the lagoon and it was the moon snails (Polinices sp.) that had came to welcome us...
Amazingly, this group of participants are interested in even the tiniest and most insignificant-looking things like algae.. and I was stopped to talk about them instead of the hermit crab that I already had in my hand. When I ask them if they wanna play with the hermit, none of them want to.. they told me instead that they were not suppose to touch... kekeke ...

So moving on...

Due to the day's super low tide, we got to see lots of corals. Blue corals are in abundance for the vistors to see... As well as many boulder corals, the branching ones and lots and lots of sponges.


And the one coral that my group remembered the most will have to be this one - the dead men's finger (Sinularia sp.) . They can't seem to get enough of it...

Of course they saw more then just that. But I shall save it till the next time...

Greengardn and I stayed on and as usual the other guides and particiapnts were waving, saying goodbye to me: the islander.
It was a rather puzzling sight, why everyone seems to be rushing off to somewhere.
Nonetheless, the sharing session and nuar-ing with Greengardn had been wonderful. We came up with some creative ideas that we could do for Reefwalk as well as for our dearest guides...

The hardworking bluebird, though missing-in-action, smsed me from his holiday asking about how everything went. But of course, with our dedicated guides and coordinators working so hard to make sure that things go smoothly, I reassured him that everything's fine and we all had a great time! Don't you agree?!

Hmmm... Never have I realised that Greengardn and Floggie were in my guide group before till greengardn told me! And man... How heartwarming it is to learn that you people came back for more and now, you are all formally trained reefwalk guides! *winks*

May the words of conservation spread amongst you, to the people who came. That they may learn about the beauty of our fagile world, and felt the drive that you have within yourself! Keep discovering and keep that faith going...



ps: special thanks to Greengardn for all the pictures in this blog entry...

2 comments:

greengardn said...

For those who don't know, nuar-ing involves doing nothing but breathing fresh air and leaving all your worries behind, and in Pammy Whammy's case, it also includes savouring an entire bar of really good dark chocolate :o)

fLoGgiE said...

Yap, yap...

My group too didn't want to touch the marine life, though me told them that they should feel the dead man's fingers...

Someone did handle the sand dollars but I did tell them that they can be fragile and if a large portion of them is broken, they will not mend.

Guess our safety brief was very effective and that marine life may either be poisonous or venomous really got across to them, ....