Jul 25, 2005

There's Always A First Time for Everything

Thanks to Greengarden and BluEbIRd,

Here's my first Klog.... Yes, My first, and YES, last Sunday was my first guide over a group with Hwee Ling as my OJT. WoW, and just imagine that at my last walk on 29 May, I was a OJT assigned to Elaine. Many thanks to Elaine and my previous guides Jeffrey and Min Sheng for their guiding, and Ria for the very useful training session on guiding technique (and inspiration!) on 18 May and the very useful practical training session with Min Sheng on 30 Apr - 1 May 2005.

Unlike Greengarden, my group was assigned to the sea lagoon, where I did all my OJTs. I remembered the sticky affair we had when we did our practical training there on 1 May 2005!

The weather was perfect. The Group comprised of college and university students, two of whom did bio studies. Wow, and my highest standard passed for biology was at Sec 2! Anyway, like most good Singaporean students, it turned out that they returned much back to their lecturers and I was able to survive!

There were ten of us in the group. We started with the pre-walk safety brief on the Four T's, connect with the group with the four F's. Broke the ice by introducing ourselves and asking them what they expect to see during the walk, asking questions instead of lecturing, recalling Ria's advise that its all about THEM and not about ME!

And like in every walk, they were a fantastic group and even helped out. I was having a hard time looking for the sand dollars, and they found them! It was my first encounter with a sand dollar, so I was as excited as them.

Ended the walk, after almost an hour and a half with a re-cap of the issues and selling some ko yok on other nature walks, like Chek Jawa. I believed they had enjoyed and had fun.

As in everything done the first time, I had to put a fair bit of effort to keep thinking of what's next, so more practice will make it perfect. YES, I believe that I've found my stars

3 comments:

greengardn said...

Yay! Once again, CONGRATS! We musn't forget to thank Pam who was our guide during our first ever walk in April, and also Daniel who taught us the "finer" points of Reefwalking during our first camp-out! :o)

pammy whammy said...

wow... suddenly I felt old... hmmm....

anyways, you guys are great! Am glad to see you all graduate to become full fledged guides...

So here's to more fun together to come... For every walk is a new expericence... keep experiencing it, ya!! ...

kilbunny said...

ohmygdness. so fast ar? wah.. i must be missin quite a number of reefwalks eh. darn. all the sunday walks... cannot la, my choir kids need me on sunday. but yay! congrats floggie!